Review - My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent (4)

Monday, April 18, 2011

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 1 August 2009
Genre: YA paranormal/romance
My Copy: bought - paperback


She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.


Review:
The story sort of has two plot lines going at once until they merge towards the end. One focuses entirely around Kaylee discovering the truth about who she is. The second involves young, beautiful girls dying without warning. As the reader learns more about Kaylee, they also begin to understand what is happening to the girls. The mastermind behind the deaths is the real mystery.

Kaylee is brave even while being understandably scared. She fights for the truth even while others would rather keep her in the dark. As is common in many paranormal YA novels, she puts the well being of others before her own. She feels responsible for protecting the "normal" girls from a danger they can't see and don't realize exists.

Nash is not my favorite male character. He starts out great early on in the novel, but then he seems a little stuck up in later parts of the book. I was a little thrown off by the relationship between Kaylee and Nash after he revealed what they are. It seemed like it went from 0 to 60 in a matter of pages.

I actually found myself liking Tod more than Nash. I definitely didn't see the significance of the connection between the two of them. The revelation made some pieces fit together better in my head which had caused some confusion. I can't wait to read his story in Reaper (If you haven't read My Soul to Take, then you might want to wait to read the synopsis of Reaper).

The plot idea is intriguing. I like paranormal novels, but I get tired of reading about vampires and werewolves. This was a refreshing idea. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. The pacing was pretty good. It kept the action and suspense moving at a steady rate. If you like reading paranormal YA, then I recommend this tale to you.

Other thoughts:
I love the covers on this series. The wispyness has a mystical feel to it. While this particular cover isn't my favorite of the Soul Screamers, it's not my least favorite either. I also recommend reading My Soul to Lose first. It's a good peak into the series and will make some references in My Soul to Take easier to understand. I couldn't quite decide between 4 and 5 stars, so I went with 4. If I can't make up my mind, it's usually not quite good enough for the higher of the two.


Rating breakdown:
Overall: 4/5 stars
Characters: 4 stars
Plot: 5 stars
Pacing: 5 stars
Character Relationships: 4 stars
Recommend: Yes

Other Books in the Series:


*All links go to Goodreads*



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.