Review - The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter (6)

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Series: Goddess Test #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: 26 April 2011
Genre: YA paranormal/romance/myth
My Copy: received for review from NetGalley - Kindle


It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.


Review:
I am very conflicted about this book. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but something about it bugs me. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it might be James. We're introduced to James very early on in the story, and I couldn't help but like him. I was secretly rooting for him the whole time I read the novel, and I'm fairly certain that is why I'm conflicted. Despite the fact that the synopsis clearly says Henry, I wanted it to be James. Through the first part of the book, I kept waiting for James to actually be named Henry. You know, like James was his "human" name or whatever. Then we meet Henry, and he's all tormented and mournful which just made me like James even more. As the story progressed, I did warm up to Henry, but James was still my favorite. I felt so bad for James. I did like the slow evolution of the relationship between Henry and Kate. It seemed believable and normal given the circumstances. However, I was irritated with how often Henry's old love, Persephone, is brought up by both Henry and Kate. I felt like saying enough is enough, move on already. Even at the end of the novel, I wasn't convinced that he wasn't hung up on her. The whole marriage thing bothered me throughout the novel. Six months and then marriage? Really? Henry isn't what I typically think of when the name Hades comes to mind, but it made the story interesting. I liked the compassion for others that Kate consistently shows throughout the novel, but she isn't one of my favorite heroines. I kind of felt she should have considered her own life and feelings a little more. I found myself liking Ava and being completely annoyed with her as well, which I believe was Carter's goal when she created the character. I liked Calliope's part in the story. I thought she played it well.

The plot is a very interesting idea. I loved the Greek mythology base and the unique twist to the story. The judgement at the ending was a bit of a surprise although looking back I suppose I should have seen it sooner. I was pleased with myself that I knew who the saboteur was fairly early on. It's definitely not obvious, but there are little hints. The story line builds upon itself well although the pacing is a bit choppy in parts. A big event occurs and then nothing happens for awhile except for Kate talking about her routine. The tests are not nearly as action filled as I expected. Some of them don't really seem like much of a test at all. I do want to read the second novel. I've got to know what happens. (Plus, I'm still secretly rooting for James...)

Look for this book on Tuesday!

Other thoughts:
I like the cover, but the girl isn't quite what I imagine Kate to look like as I read through the novel.


Rating breakdown:
Plot: 5 stars
Pacing: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Character Relationships: 3 stars
Recommend: Most likely yes

*All links go to Goodreads*


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.