Book Beginnings on Friday (1)

Friday, April 29, 2011
Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Katy @ A Few More Pages. It features the first line (or two) out of books you are currently reading.

My favorite this week is probably The Near Witch, but What Looks Like Crazy gets a very close second. The Near Witch has great onomatopoeias! I can hear the match, see the flame and smell the sulfur. It makes me feel like something tense is going on in the opening scene. What Looks Like Crazy's first lines make a great quote. Three to Get Deadly is a tad underwhelming given the excitement of the book itself. The Iron Witch sparks my curiosity to find out what exactly a Wood Monster is.

Books I'm reading for review/fun:

Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich
It was January in Trenton. The sky was gunmetal gray, and the air sat dead cold on cars and sidewalks.











What Looks Like Crazy by Charlotte Hughes
As a clinical psychologist, I've spent most of my time trying to convince my clients they're not crazy. The truth is, everybody is a little bit crazy; it's just a matter of degree.









The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
It starts with a crack, a sputter, and a spark. The match hisses to life.










The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney
My father died saving my life when I was seven years old. I wish I found it easier to remember him outside of my dreams--where of course he is tall and handsome, and over and over again saves me from the Wood Monster.









Book I'm reading for class:

Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson
There are certain idiosyncratic notions that you quietly come to accept when you live for a long time in Britain. One is that British summers used to be longer and sunnier.










4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, these are great beginnings...I think the one from The Near Witch is fabulous!

Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

Ann said...

I love the beginning of "What looks like crazy" great opening lines.
Here's my beginning for this Friday:
http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/04/book-beginningson-friday_29.html

Anonymous said...

Some great beginnings here. My psychologist partner really laughed at the beginning of "What looks like crazy".
Mine's here: http://mostraum.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/book-beginnings-on-friday-april-29-2011/

The Phantom Paragrapher said...

Some good books here , what Looks Crazy seems like a great read. I've just finished Three to get Deadly and have the Near Witch on my Ipad to read.
New Follower
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.