Review - The Haunted by Jessica Verday (3)

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Haunted by Jessica Verday
Series: Hollow Trilogy #2
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 31 August 2010
Genre: YA paranormal/romance
My Copy: bought - hardback


An impossible truth. An impossible love. After a summer spent reclaiming her sanity and trying to forget the boy she fell in love with—the boy who must not exist, cannot exist, because she knows that he is dead—Abbey returns to Sleepy Hollow, ready to leave the ghosts of her past behind. She throws herself into her schoolwork, her perfume-making, and her friendship with Ben, her cute and funny lab partner, who just might be her ticket to getting over Caspian once and for all. But Abbey can never get over Caspian, and Caspian has no choice but to return to her side, for Caspian is a Shade, and Abbey is his destiny. They are tied not only to each other, but also to the town of Sleepy Hollow, and to the famous legend that binds their fates—a legend whose dark truths they are only beginning to guess....


Review:
I adore this series. (You can read my review of The Hollow HERE) I love the mystery involved. It definitely keeps you guessing. Verday provides just enough information to pick up on important clues and characters without revealing too much as to make the ending predictable. Plus, ghosts are way more awesome than vampires, werewolves, and zombies. I think it's because ghosts have a better chance of actually existing than the others. It makes the story seem more realistic (Not that I believe in ghosts, just that out of the four I would put my money on ghosts being real over the other three).

The main characters are fascinating. Many of the questions I had about Shades were answered. Caspian is a great character. He isn't possessive or freakishly jealous. He trusts Abbey completely. Abbey is still stubborn, but seems a little less sure of who she is. I did feel that the whole shrink situation was a little out of touch with the rest of the storyline, but I understand why it was there. We learn more about Ben in this novel as well. Although he's not a particularly dynamic character, he provides more depth to the story. I loved the car scene when Caspian, Ben, and Abbey were headed up to Caspian's home town. I cracked up laughing so hard that people were giving me weird looks. More backstory is provided for Caspian, Nikolas and Katy. I love the way Sleepy Hollow is intertwined with the plot. Nikolas and Katy add another side to the story. We are also introduced to some new characters. Vincent is the only one who is really being developed in this story; however, I have a feeling the others will play a larger part in the third and final novel.

The pacing is better in this installment. The Hollow seemed to drag out in places to me, but The Haunted provides more minor plot conflicts which keep the book moving. One aspect of this novel that I felt was perhaps less impressive compared to the first book is the relationship between Caspian and Abbey. I enjoyed immensely the realistic feel of it before. While it was still good in The Haunted, it did focus considerably more on the paranormal aspect. All in all, I give this book my complete recommendation. If you adored the first novel, you'll love this one too.

Other thoughts:
I like the revamped covers better than the direction they were going with originally. My only disappointment is that my The Hollow hardcover isn't going to match.

Favorite quotes:
Surely I would bleed. I was cut. But the blood didn't come. Instead my pinkie just began to throb. I held it up and watched as my finger pulsed, each movement in sync with my heartbeat, like there was a gossamer string attached from my heart to my hand. The noise of the traffic and reverberation of people began to fade. Only white static filled my ears, and I couldn't turn away. - page 49

Caspian leaned in and put his lips right next to my ear. I fought very hard not to shiver. "You want me to have feelings?" he said. "I already told you that I love you. What else should I say? That I long to be near you every second of every day? I see colors, only around you...I smell perfume, only around you. God, it's like...like I'm alive again. Sometimes I go crazy just wondering if I've imagined it all, and I wait to see when it...you...will be taken away from me." - pg 148

Everything was making sense now. All the puzzle pieces were fitting together. The reason why he kept making these gorgeous necklaces for me..."Since you can't touch me, you made something that could, didn't you?" I said.
"Yes."
My world slowed and I closed my eyes. "I am going to give you my heart now," I whispered. "Please don't break it again." - pg 222



Rating breakdown:
Overall: 5+ stars
Characters: 5 stars
Plot: 5+ stars
Pacing: 5 stars
Writing style: 5 stars
Recommend: Absolutely!

Other Books in the Series:


*All links go to Goodreads*


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.