Review - Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Friday, January 6, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Series: Hunger Games #2
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 1 September 2009
Genre: YA Dystopian
My Copy: bought - kindle


Every year in Panem, the dystopic nation that exists where the U.S. used to be, the Capitol holds a televised tournament in which two teen "tributes" from each of the surrounding districts fight a gruesome battle to the death. In The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, the tributes from impoverished District Twelve, thwarted the Gamemakers, forcing them to let both teens survive. In this rabidly anticipated sequel, Katniss, again the narrator, returns home to find herself more the center of attention than ever. The sinister President Snow surprises her with a visit, and Katniss’s fear when Snow meets with her alone is both palpable and justified. Catching Fire is divided into three parts: Katniss and Peeta’s mandatory Victory Tour through the districts, preparations for the 75th Annual Hunger Games, and a truncated version of the Games themselves. Slower paced than its predecessor, this sequel explores the nation of Panem: its power structure, rumors of a secret district, and a spreading rebellion, ignited by Katniss and Peeta’s subversive victory. Katniss also deepens as a character. Though initially bewildered by the attention paid to her, she comes almost to embrace her status as the rebels’ symbolic leader. Though more of the story takes place outside the arena than within, this sequel has enough action to please Hunger Games fans and leaves enough questions tantalizingly unanswered for readers to be desperate for the next installment.
(Summary from School Library Journal)


Review:
As soon as I finished The Hunger Games, I began to read the sequel. I absolutely loved this book in the series. Katniss proves her worth as a main character. She is witty, intelligent, brave, and compassionate. Since the book synopsis pushes the idea of a love triangle, it was nice to see Gale finally become a real love interest as well as Katniss bonding with Peeta. I have to admit the decision between the two was the most torturous part of the book for me. I really liked both Gale and Peeta in this story. They each bring their own admirable traits in, making it difficult to pick just one. The Hunger Games twist is interesting, although not unexpected. We are introduced to more of the past winners, and I adore Finnick.

I don't have much more to say about this book. I've already finished Mockingjay as I write this, so it's difficult to write this review without giving away too much. I can say that this was my favorite in the series.



Rating breakdown:
Plot: 5 hearts
Pacing: 4 hearts
Characters: 5 hearts
Character relationships: 5 hearts
Recommend: Yes!

Read for these challenges:
YA Literature
Ebook
100+ Books



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.