Book Review - Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Friday, September 26, 2014
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12868761-let-s-pretend-this-never-happened

Publisher: Amy Einhorn
Publication Date: 17 April 2012
Genre: Memoir / Humor
My Copy: Library - hardback

When Jenny Lawson was little, all she ever wanted was to fit in. That dream was cut short by her fantastically unbalanced father and a morbidly eccentric childhood. It did, however, open up an opportunity for Lawson to find the humor in the strange shame-spiral that is her life, and we are all the better for it.

In the irreverent Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, Lawson’s long-suffering husband and sweet daughter help her uncover the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us the people we are today. For every intellectual misfit who thought they were the only ones to think the things that Lawson dares to say out loud, this is a poignant and hysterical look at the dark, disturbing, yet wonderful moments of our lives.

Review:
This is seriously one of the most hilarious books I've read in a long time. Multiple times I was laughing until I was crying. Then, of course, I was forced to stop reading because I couldn't see the page through my tears! I borrowed this from the library, but I'm going to have to buy a copy. And then obviously shove it into everyone's hands and make them read it. I had never heard of The Bloggess prior to finding this book on a reading list. I'm now a follower; I only wish I'd known about Jenny Lawson earlier! If nothing else will convince you, go to a library or a bookstore, pick up the book, and read the chapter Stanley, the Magical Talking Squirrel. I couldn't BREATHE.

The book is witty and snarky and all around amazing. It starts with stories about Lawson's childhood growing up with a taxidermist father and his horrible ideas for practical jokes. (Seriously, read Stanly, the Magical Talking Squirrel--you'll pee your pants.) Then it moves through her meeting her husband, having their daughter, and their lives since. I would recommend reading it in small bits. The chapters are fairly small, so read a couple each day and savor this magnificent memoir! Unless your easily offended, and then maybe this isn't for you, or you just need to get over it so you can love this book.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.