Book Review - The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost

Wednesday, October 22, 2014
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19486775-the-beautiful-ashes
The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost
Series: Broken Destiny #1
Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Publication Date: 26 August 2014
Genre: New Adult / Urban Fantasy
My Copy: Library - paperback

 In a world of shadows, anything is possible. Except escaping your fate.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been gripped by visions of strange realms just beyond her own. But when her sister goes missing, Ivy discovers the truth is far worse—her hallucinations are real, and her sister is trapped in a parallel realm. And the one person who believes her is the dangerously attractive guy who's bound by an ancient legacy to betray her.

Adrian might have turned his back on those who raised him, but that doesn't mean he can change his fate…no matter how strong a pull he feels toward Ivy. Together they search for the powerful relic that can save her sister, but Adrian knows what Ivy doesn't: that every step brings Ivy closer to the truth about her own destiny, and a war that could doom the world. Sooner or later, it will be Ivy on one side and Adrian on the other. And nothing but ashes in between…

Review:
 Whoa. I loved this book. I thought Ivy was brave and kick ass. I thought Adrian was perhaps a little over tortured, but still HOT. I know other readers will feel like there's a problem with instalove, but really I thought the book made it fairly clear that it was instaLUST (although personally I rarely have a problem with instant love in books, they're relatively short and it usually would take too much time to build a relationship). There's no sex in the book, but plenty of steamy sexual tension. I loved the twisty-ness of both characters. They both had multiple motivations for their goals, and I thought that brought a lot to the book. I also enjoyed their witty exchanges. I even enjoyed the side characters, both the good and the bad.

I admit that I usually space out a bit on action scenes, but I did kind of get into the ones in this book more than usual. The author did a good job with the ending and letting out bits and pieces as the book went along. Everything made sense to me in the world she created. There was a lot of light vs dark in the story that I thought was very well handled. The dark was really dark but produced Adrian as someone struggling for the light, and the light was bright but had some shadows. Really the dark was more honest than the light which I find is the case most of the time. The book grabbed me from the beginning, and I just had to know what was coming in the end. LOVED it.

Favorite Quotes:
"You're the light I can never have, and I'm the darkness you'll never succumb to." 

"He was danger wrapped in secrets tied with a bow of bad intentions."

"When it's light versus dark, that doesn't matter. One shadow in a brightly lit room goes unnoticed, but shine a ray of light into even the darkest corner and everything changes."

Plot: 5 stars
Pacing: 5 stars
Characters: 5 stars
Ending: 5 stars
Recommend: YES!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.