Review - Shimmerspell by Kimberly Spencer (8)

Friday, May 6, 2011

Shimmerspell by Kimberly Spencer
Series: Faerie Tale Girl #1
Publisher: self-published (can find on Amazon and Smashwords)
Publication Date: 8 April 2011
Genre: YA fantasy/paranormal
My Copy: received from author for review - ebook

Sixteen-year-old Jensen Meadows has never been one to choke on a tall tale. With a con-artist for a big sister, she knows the value of a well executed lie. But when she overhears a murder confession at school and is abandoned by her sister, Jensen learns a few new things: Drinking Red Bull isn't the only way to get wings. The Seelie Court still hasn't gotten over King Arthur's death. Shimmerspell, the power to move between the mortal and faerie realms, is missing. And somehow, her beloved sister is tied to it all. With the help of a few teenage light-elves, Jensen wades through a sea of lies and begins to suspect that her whole life has been the tallest tale of them all.


Review:
Shimmerspell is a short story about faeries loosely based upon the Arthurian Legends. The plot line is very interesting. I found myself easily brought into the story. Kimberly has an amazing talent for imagery. The scenes came to life with her artful descriptions. The story has a wealth of great lines. Jensen is a pretty kick-ass girl and a remarkably believable character. I think the story could definitely be expanded upon for a great full length novel (I would absolutely read it). The very speedy pace to get everything in made it a little confusing at times, and at the end I had a ton of questions. Overall, it's a very fun, short read with moments of suspense and a good dose of mystery. I will definitely be looking for the second book in this series.

Kimberly has great potential as an author. I would read another story written by her in a heartbeat.

Other thoughts:
I really like the cover. The colors are beautiful. The girl's face has a mixture of fear and curiosity which I think fits well with the story. I believe the pink and orange thing on the right is a will o'wisp from the story. Very cool.


Rating breakdown:
Plot: 5 stars
Pacing: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Character relationships: 5 stars
Recommend: Yes


2 comments:

Jennifer A said...

What a pretty cover!

I've never heard of this book before. It sounds really cute! I'll have to go check it out. :)

Jennifer of Little Shelf

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This has such a great cover! Thanks for the review!

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I truly appreciate receiving them.

I reserve the right to remove any comments which I consider to be attacking another commenter's character or mine. I have no problem with debates and disagreements, but there is no reason to make personal attacks against another person for their views. I will also delete spam.